Tuesday, August 12, 2014

It Don't Mean a Thing if it Ain't Got That Swing!

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swiiiing!
I love that song. Fun fact: I love all swing music, really. But anyway, that's just a fun way of saying that I need to get back into the swing of things this week. It has been a looong weekend (yes, I know it's Tuesday, more on that later!), and I've been thrown out of my groove! So tonight I am focusing on planning and prepping for tomorrow and the rest of my week.

Casey's schedule already makes weekends a little weird for us every week because his days off are Sunday and Monday. So every week Saturday rolls around and I forget that everyone else is already on their weekend, because mine doesn't start until the next day! Well this week, Cavin's birthday party was on Saturday, so Casey had the day off. Yay! That would have given us a three day weekend. But today, Tuesday, Casey had the day off of work again in order to attend a special work award party that he'd been invited to - because he'd won an award! He's on his way home from that right now, so I don't have the details yet, but I'm excited to find out how it went!

But all of that summed up means a four day weekend! Which was amazing, because we got to spend a ton of time together just relaxing and playing with the kiddos. But the problem with that much relaxing was the tower of dishes in the kitchen threatening to spill all over the place. Too much relaxing makes me lazy all over again, and I have trouble getting back into "Go" mode.

See, I'm the complete opposite of the mom who is constantly in go mode, overworked with too much on her plate and too much to juggle. When I'm stressed, I don't add more to my plate, I just drop the plate and sit on the couch. It's a horrible habit really, and I'm trying so hard to work on it! I'm a really bad procrastinator, and when there's too much to do, I just don't do it. Even when there's not much to do, I have trouble doing it. My self-motivation skills are somewhat lacking. But really, I'm working on it! I guess my hope is just that I'm not the only one.

My favorite blogs, and my favorite women to follow online, all speak about a common theme quite often: hope for the woman who has too much on her plate, or how to simplify a too busy schedule. And while most of those resources do have some amazing advice on those subjects, I've realized that a lot of it doesn't really apply to me. Most days, I don't feel like I'm doing enough. I need to focus on my self-motivation and time management so that I can end the day feeling like I actually accomplished something. I'm not the only one, right? Please tell me there are other women like me! It's a harder thing to admit though, because it means admitting that you probably aren't working hard enough, and that's not something that anybody wants to freely admit.

So tonight I'm checking into my home management binder and planning for my day tomorrow. I've finally cleared out the dishes, and I even put together a delicious sounding crock pot breakfast casserole that will cook overnight. I've stayed up a little too late, so I don't know if I'll be up before the kids tomorrow. But at least I know that I've done my prep work tonight, which gives me an easier morning tomorrow no matter what time I wake up!

No comments:

Post a Comment